The design and construction of the water shower filter play a vital role in its essential function of converting the hard water into soft water. The multiple layers of resins, KDF, carbon, and the minerals remove the microbes and energize the water for the best bathing experience.
Shower Filter Efficiency
The construction of the hard water shower filter consists of several layers from the inlet till the final outlet.
The first layer performs the function of removing the macroscopic suspensions. They include clay, silt, soil, and other forms of turbidity.
The microscopic filter removes most of the volatile chemicals, harmful metals, pesticides, and the other potentially toxic elements from the water.
Hard Water Filter
The design of the hard water filter varies between the various brands and models of the shower filter. It depends on the method of softening. The standard filters remove the elements causing temporary and permanent hardness.
The most commonly found hardness factors are the chloride forms of magnesium, compounds of chlorine, bicarbonates, dissolved minerals, and the other ions.
- Chlorine Removal: chlorine removal is the first stage of water softening. The best shower filters use bamboo carbon, KDF, chlorine, or the infrared stones to achieve this goal. Some of the filters may use the specific combination of the materials. Bamboo charcoal contains 98% of carbon. The process of adsorption which attracts and traps the chlorine molecules within its layers at a ratio of 1:6. KDF is another combinational material (copper and zinc alloy) which converts the harmful chlorine into water dissolvable harmless chlorides. The process of oxidation-reduction can convert more than 99.9% of the chlorine content. KDF can also increase the lifespan of the activated carbon layer by absorbing the chlorine content and turning it into chloride form. So, the best shower filter can contain the combination of the two materials.
- Carbonate Removal: Hard water contains the carbonate and the bicarbonate forms of calcium and magnesium. Sedimentation and filtering are the principal methods of their removal when they are in the microscopic structure. Activated carbon in the bamboo charcoal can eliminate the maximum volume of these compounds. The micron size elements get removed by the KDF layer. The efficiency of the active shower filter can be 99.99% in the carbonate and bicarbonate removal.
- Chemical Removal: The hard water contains several volatile chemicals like the sulfides, benzene, oxides, sulfates, etc. KDF is the layer which removes them by more than 99.99%.
- Fluoride Removal: Fluoride is one of the hardness factors that are hard to remove by the standard methods and filers. It is due to the highly dissolving character. Hence, the shower filter construction will be different for the fluoride removers. The next section describes the design and functionality of the unique shower filters.
- Metal Removal: The best shower filter’s KDF layer can also remove the micron size metals like the mercury, lead, copper, and the others.
Fluoride Removing Filters
The processof fluoride removal happens through ion exchange, reverse osmosis, and the active-alumina. The best shower filter for hard water can contain the synthetic membrane or alumina layer.
TFC, ceramic, polyamide, and cellulose are some of the most commonly used membranes in the reverse osmosis shower filters. TFC is accepted as the industry standard filter which can work at an efficiency of 99.99%.
The relative thickness of the layer is less than 0.25 microns. As the water passes through this material, it attracts the individual ions from the fluoride and deposits them onto the sheet. The required pressure for the membrane is delivered by the inlet pipe in the shower filter. The high efficiency of the filter can work for one year with no hassles.
You need to replace the membrane every year to preserve the efficiency at the same level. Since the maximum diameter of the layer is 250 micrometer, the compact shower filters can also accommodate it with no hassles.
The ion exchange process happens through the anionic, cationic, and the mixed types of resins. The mesh size of the medium can vary from 5 to 100. The filter with the highest value can remove the maximum volume of the fluoride from the water.
The successive layers of filters remove the hardness and harmful contaminants from the water. However, they may also eliminate some of the healthier minerals and compounds from the water. For example, the process of reverse osmosis doesn’t differentiate between useful and harmful elements. Apart from fluoride, it can remove chlorine, metals, VOC, and others. Sodium, copper, calcium, and magnesium are useful when they are present in micron ratio. Hence, the best shower filter should also contain a layer, which can infuse these elements back into the water.
The most commonly used stones are the ceramic balls, bio-active stones, active carbon, etc. The alkaline coated far-infrared ceramic balls can restore most of the above-listed minerals to the micron level volume. At the same time, it irradiates the water to induce immunity elements.
- Current Generation: The blood circulation system in the human body is run by the mildest form of electromagnetic energy generated by the central nervous system. Stress and anxiety can reduce the levels considerably. Hence, the circulation tends to slow down which causes fatigue and energy loss. The active ceramic stone induces a mild current in microamperes that charges the water. Hot water at a temperature of 1050F can energize the circulation system efficiently.
- Negative Ions: The negative ions generated by the active carbon, and ceramic balls can control the oxidative elements within the human body. This process can reduce the effects of acne, rashes, and other skin disorders considerably. The ions can also relax the muscles and remove the elements of fatigue from them. The additional distinct advantage of the infrared layer is the skin Detox, pore cleaning, and disinfection. The energized water can also strengthen the fibers of collagen and elastin on the skin layers. It results in the reduced probability of wrinkle formation and skin sagging.